Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Descriptions for Some Portfolio Work

Karel Martens Lecture Poster


This lecture poster was created with Karel Martens in mind. I wanted to try and recreate his use of CMYK, overlapping imagery, use of a structured grid, and his use of patterns. The colorful orbs used to create the pattern are pictures of a clear door knob, later manipulated in photoshop. By rotating and overlapping the images I was able to create a second element inside the pattern using a black reflection and turning that into a ribbon like object that flows from top to bottom. By overlapping the images I was also able to bring in the other colors of the spectrum. (orange, green, & purple) The overlapping type that appears only adds to the main pattern. By changing opacities and messing with transparency techniques I was able to seamlessly connect the two layers to look cohesive, as if they are going on top of and behind each other. The type mimics the black ribbon motion so it too has a structure even though there is quite a lot of motion and ups and downs.


Rhymesayers Entertainment


A10 Award Winner


To make a timeline that is not linear can be challenging. That was the main objective for this poster. We had the chance to select our own topic, something we would be interested and inspired by, I chose the Minneapolis, Minnesota independent record label, Rhymesayers. Minnesota is known for having a friendly atmosphere, a lot of home town pride, and a huge music and art scene. Choosing this topic allowed me to express those vibes and also gave me a lot of information to work with. Because of the home town pride aspect I decided to contain my timeline inside the shape of Minnesota and use some basic colors that are commonly used at a local print shop called Burlesque of North America. The timeline uses a multitude of different typefaces to show the diversity throughout the record label. It also holds a lot of movement and conveys the tone of the record label and the tenacity of their hard work and rhythm.


Bike Poster


Printed in succession of 100, chosen to be sold at BikeWalkKC’s annual Bike Summit.


This was a project aimed towards a specific audience, cyclists in the Kansas City area. The point was to be able to use semiotics to get across a certain message. I am using synecdoche, a part representing a whole or vice versa, to show that there is a bike for every single person and that no one really has an excuse not to bike and by joining a bike community a person can really increase their life experience in general. I think that it is something special for everyone to have a bike of their own, something that is yours and no one else has one like yours. The color choices are classic red, white, and blue, a color scheme that has many uses, can hint at many things, or just look nice in general. The toned down colors don’t scare away the viewer, but the design and the many versions of one bike is interesting enough to draw them in and explore how each bike is unique.




Fred Hersch “Folly Jazz Fest”


Displayed as Show Poster for the Fred Hersch Trio at the The Folly Theatre


Every year the Folly Theatre hosts a jazz festival and brings in great jazz musicians from around the country to play in Kansas City. I got the opportunity to create a poster for the event. Hersch’s new album was based off of his coma dreams, a truly unique experience that only he could interpret through music. I used a cool color scheme to convey a dream like state. The type creates movement and variation by over and under lapping the imagery and independent shapes. The pattern throughout the poster creates some depth draws the viewer in. I think the type is legible enough but also active enough that a person can be drawn in from far away just to see the details. The hot spurts of hot pink make this more energetic as well. My greatest fear is that someone gets a confusing and bad vibe from this instead of appreciating everything that is packed into the poster.


Jupiter


Typography is one of the most important aspects of design. It has ultimate uses and can be translated in so many ways. Depending on its stroke width, skeleton, color, size, texture, etc. typography can be used for just about everything. My first attempt at designing a unique display face using FontStruct. It originated as an old western block typeface with two weights, straight corner and a curved corner. The curved corner seemed to express a futuristic theme. I decided to make it a futuristic western or “space western” typeface. I combined a good amount of space imagery paired with old western photos or movie scenes. I like doing collage work and combining opposite imagery, I really had a good time and fun process making this typeface. Overall I think it was unique and good experiment


The Silver Service/Palmetto Quantitative and Qualitative Posters


There are two main ways to express a message in a poster quantitatively and qualitatively. Quantitative is informational, it deals with a more structural layout, providing information through data, such as graphs and lists. Qualitative is more on the emotional side, using more imagery than information. I chose a lighthouse for the qualitative poster because the train rides along the East coast. A lighthouse is something you’re likely to see during the trip. It could even bring back memories from another time that you took the train. For the quantitative poster I took the approach of an infographic. An organized set of data displayed in multiple ways arranged on a single space.



Print is Dead Kinetic Type

This was one of my first attempts with kinetic type and using After Effects. I had fun manipulating type in the computer, making transitions, pairing it to music, creating the quote, etc. I kept it simple black and white to bring out some of the smaller effects that happen during the video. I tried to really emphasize the language using just small effects, clean and subtle, but ones that stand out enough to be noticed so that you can also appreciate the type for what it is.



Hot Sauce Rebrand


Doing this project was a lot of fun because I was challenged with doing something original for a product that has a lot of cliche imagery that comes with it. Fire, bulls, skulls, peppers, devils, and the color red and orange are all imagery that is generally associated with hot sauce. I was going through different ways to convey “hot” when I thought about old pin up girls and vintage advertising or old American traditional tattoos. I went with the pin up girls because it was a challenge to draw and edit all of them myself. Also I did not find any other hot sauces using this imagery. I found it original enough to put my mind towards it. I think in series they work very well, especially if there were four or five other flavors on top of these three. I’m glad I got a chance to test my drawing skills and doing multiple tracings, drawings, sketches, and edit on these, the process was long but worth it.


Dick Dale 45 Sleeve


I love doing projects that involve music. Music is one of the main reasons I got into art and graphic design, the super unique and awesome album covers and artwork are a huge part of graphic design and music. The project was to design a 45 sleeve for an artist from an older generation, before 1980 something I believe. I chose Dick Dale and the surf rock genre because of the fast paced rhythm and crazy guitar solos that involve just about every note possible. I decided to go with this wavy red and yellow pattern for a reason. The vibrating colors make a wavy optical illusion, as if the cover itself is a wave and moving. It is bright, loud, and grabs your attention immediately, just like surf rock and Dick Dale. The back is a modernized take on a wave, more of a sound wave than anything else. It has the shape and curl of an ocean wave but is linear and ordered like a sound wave might be. I kept the inside artwork on the record itself pretty simple. The rotation of the A and B are both fitting with this crazy genre of rock. Also when spinning the letters will make a blurred pattern due to the repeating letters and bright colors.

Pierre Koenig Book


I always struggle with putting doing book design. This project was a real challenge for me, I have a tendency to not always pay attention to the small details. So making sure my page numbers were correct, I had all the proper intro pages, all type and picture height was consistent throughout the book and all of those things was challenging. There was a lot of editing that went into the final product. I wanted to focus on bringing his architecture style to life through this book. Focusing on linear angles, continuation, consistency, and also allowing open white space were all things I was hoping to accomplish successfully. By making a flow line and having photos bleed from one page to the next really helped create a sense of continuity throughout the book.  Some things I am proud of was making sure there were next to zero widows, good spacing on my justification, making sure all numerals were in small caps and the edits to the text that I made while still making it cohesive and true to the original writing. It really did not come together until the final edits and those were super crucial to the success of this book.


P.O.S Digital Magazine

Taking sketches and scanning them in is one thing, taking your design and making it interactive on an iPad with actual buttons, commands, navigation, and interactions is something else entirely. There was a lot that went into this project. All the photography is my own from an old show I went to, the type is perfectly justified with no hyphenation or widows, and all the buttons had be working so preping the file was crucial this time around. I wanted to real get across his angsty and loud style. Using black, white, and red as an aggressive or dark color palette was always my intention, using red as a pop color that grabs your attention. Nothing stands out more than bright red type. I stuck with Helvetica to counter the DIY feel that P.O.S has. Not that the DIY is bad, but he has meaningful and important lyrics and things to say that should be taken seriously. Using helvetica helps clarity and serious meaning. I was so set on justifying my type because that’s what most magazines are, justified. Perfect, straight, even columns that flow from paragraph to paragraph, this was probably the most difficult part to accomplish, but ended very well after a long time of editing and paying attention to the smaller things.

No comments:

Post a Comment